Learn Spanish Review
Why Learn Spanish Through an Online Site?
Online Spanish websites offer many more options than learning the language through the traditional classroom and lab options. And the websites are a much better option than downloading Spanish activities to your desktop. Today students can get access to vocabulary lists, exercises, podcasts, videos and online tutors by subscribing to a Spanish learning website. To learn more, read our articles about learn Spanish online. Three providers emerge among the best: SpanishPod, NuLengua and Livemocha.
When selecting the right Spanish learning website, you will need to make these decisions before selecting a Spanish learning website:
- First determine your Spanish learning level. Consider a website that offers a placement test so you know whether you’re beginning, intermediate or advanced.
- Decide how much time you can set aside to study Spanish. When learning a language, it isn’t good enough to simply look at something once a week for several hours. The smartest thing to do is to set a small amount of time aside every day. You’ll learn faster that way.
- Select the particular dialect you want to learn. If you’re going to Spain, don’t study Spanish from Central America. You’ll find the language and culture are different.
- Start immersing yourself in the Hispanic world. Go down to the local bodega and practice the Spanish vocabulary you know. Also, consider buying some Spanish music to play. Try to understand the words.
Before enrolling in a class at the local community college, consider the benefits of learning Spanish from a website that combines lots of wonderful options. All of the Spanish learning websites give you an opportunity to sample lessons. Choosing the right one for you will depend on the type of instruction you require. Some use video so you are watching a person talk while you go through the various learning exercises. Try out a few before deciding which to buy.
On many of these sites, you can get:
- Instruction at your own pace – You don’t need to worry about your instructor’s schedule and availability. Spanish learning websites enable you to start at the appropriate place, regardless of the abilities of other students. In addition, you can study in the middle of the night, early in the morning or while on vacation. You set your schedule and if you want to study six hours a day one day and only half an hour the next, it is all well and good.
- One-on-one instruction – Instead of sharing your teacher with 30 other students, get someone who can give you individual attention and answer questions. This enables you to make the most of your time when you are using a tutor.
- Tutor selection – Spanish has many dialects. Not only is there the difference between Spanish from Spain vs. the Spanish from Latin America, even with Spain and Latin America there are differences in the way people speak and sometimes in the vocabulary they use. If you choose the correct Spanish learning website, you can choose the dialect you’re interested in learning.
- Practice with other students – Just because you’re not in a classroom doesn’t mean you can’t talk to the others in your classroom. Many Spanish learning websites offer forums and chats and audio components where you can communicate with other people learning Spanish.
- Specialized vocabulary – Some Spanish learning websites offer the option of focusing on certain kinds of vocabulary and structures that have to do with fields such as healthcare, construction, and many others. If you’re a nurse or a carpenter, you can learn the kinds of words that will help you.
- Television shows in Spanish – A few Spanish learning websites feature the option of learning Spanish through watching an interesting telenovela. You can learn the language as you keep up with a television show.
- Newsletters – Some Spanish learning websites produce newsletters and RSS feeds that are sent to you periodically. This is a wonderful way for you to be reminded that you need to get back to studying Spanish if you haven’t been dedicating yourself to it lately. Remember also that a fun-to-read newsletter or article will pique your interest in the language and culture.
What to Look for in Online Spanish Learning Services
Now that you have made some decisions, you can start looking for the Spanish learning website that fits your particular needs. These are some things to consider:
Some Spanish learning websites offer stories and newsletters. Naturally, you are serious about learning Spanish or you wouldn’t have read this far. But we all need a prod or reminder sometimes. A Spanish learning website that pushes information out to you will keep you on the path to becoming fluent in Spanish, which is why newsletters are so important. Stories allow you to watch a show that uses everyday language in context, helping a student acquire Spanish more readily. Many students say that watching something with a plot and cultural information is highly enjoyable.
In order to perfect your pronunciation, it’s important to be able to hear and be heard. You may prefer to have your pronunciation corrected by a native speaker via audio interaction. In lieu of audio interaction with a tutor, some Spanish learning websites have you record your own voice and then compare what you have said to the voice of a native instructor. Some learners may prefer this since they won’t be embarrassed at having to repeat the same line over and over.
Although many exercises can be completed without assistance, when there is a question it is helpful to have the assistance of a dedicated tutor. Most of the Spanish learning websites give you some sort of access to a live instructor (not all however), but some Spanish learning websites permit you to choose the particular tutor you would like to work with.
Through forums, students can participate in a dynamic community. Access to other students who are learning Spanish just like you may be beneficial. Additional specializations are also available, such as job-specific training. Since many students study Spanish so that they can do their jobs better, specializations in various careers are available so that the specific vocabulary is covered to help students succeed in their careers.
Some Spanish learning websites have everybody start at the same level. This can be very frustrating for someone who already knows some Spanish. Try to find one that gives you instruction at the level you need it.
To start your search for the best online Spanish websites, read our reviews.
At TopTenREVIEWS We Do the Research So You Don't Have To.™